Sign in to follow this  
not_a_roman

Story and lore question

Hi there, I absolutely love and adore the lore and setting.

I was wondering what inspired you to create a game that is set in a dying interstellar empire?

Hi, Thanks a lot  @not_a_roman!

This thematic felt very interesting to us because it resonate with powerful ideas that we think are central in Dune (in the second part of the saga, Emperor god of Dune being one of my favorite childhood book) And Foundation. Both of them borrows from the major event (for the occidental world) that was the fall of the Roman Empire, an empire that felt immortal  and invicble.

In both these books they play with this idea that even a huge galactic human civilization, spread among the stars,  is not immune to getting back to the dark ages or even disappear on its own. The big difference in our approach is that it happend almost overnight, brutally. 

To us it feels very contemporary as we are are currently building an entire civilization on top of robots and Artificial intelligence and, as we grow more and more dependant on them,  they are almost certainly the key for humankind to grow into a galactic civlization... But "What if" they disappeared at this point where we are so dependant? that's the setup of Crying Suns. Also we like the idea, resonating too with our current world situation,  that this human galactic civilization will be quite dystopian (I won't say more about this to avoid spoiling the game), hence the fact that it has evolved into a semi-autoritarian empire with rich and powerful houses (at least before the shutdown).

On 8/17/2018 at 10:48 PM, Demerzel said:

Hi, Thanks a lot  @not_a_roman!

This thematic felt very interesting to us because it resonate with powerful ideas that we think are central in Dune (in the second part of the saga, Emperor god of Dune being one of my favorite childhood book) And Foundation. Both of them borrows from the major event (for the occidental world) that was the fall of the Roman Empire, an empire that felt immortal  and invicble.

In both these books they play with this idea that even a huge galactic human civilization, spread among the stars,  is not immune to getting back to the dark ages or even disappear on its own. The big difference in our approach is that it happend almost overnight, brutally. 

To us it feels very contemporary as we are are currently building an entire civilization on top of robots and Artificial intelligence and, as we grow more and more dependant on them,  they are almost certainly the key for humankind to grow into a galactic civlization... But "What if" they disappeared at this point where we are so dependant? that's the setup of Crying Suns. Also we like the idea, resonating too with our current world situation,  that this human galactic civilization will be quite dystopian (I won't say more about this to avoid spoiling the game), hence the fact that it has evolved into a semi-autoritarian empire with rich and powerful houses (at least before the shutdown).

@Demerzel I like the fact that you have based this off dune, but more importantly, done an empire collapse based on the western roman empire. Its interesting to explore a route of galactic imperial collapse as its often not explored.

Its interesting as well because some of the imperial houses are now carving out their own empires from the carcass of the rotting human empire, and the loyalist are trying to hold onto the scraps, I am looking forward to the lore surrounding these houses!

Edited by not_a_roman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/17/2018 at 11:37 PM, Skaz said:

What he's trying to say is: Amazon will bury us all.

Saint Elon Musk will save us all from the demonic merchant Amazon, praise him ?

More seriously, if possible, I'd like to ask a quick question about the emperor.
Who was he? How did he come to power, and what was there before his reign?
Is it he who created OMNI alone or with the help of certain houses?

Delighted you want to find out more about Emperor Oberon, @Sevriss.  We think he's a pretty interesting dude! Unfortunately... that information is classified.  :classic_biggrin:

To find out everything there is to know about him, where he comes from, how he came to power, everything... you'll just have to play the game and advance in the story -- not an easy task! But I will leave you with a couple tidbits so as to not appear heartless. 

(1) Oberon alone invented the RUBYCON -- the system for controlling OMNI behavior -- at the DAWN of the Empire.  A HUGELY important piece of technology that controlled the behavior of not only his OMNIs, but the OMNIs of other houses as well. 

(2) If Oberon is still alive when our story begins -- and that's a big if given how violent and chaotic and messed-up the clusters are now -- he'd be at least as old as the Empire itself, putting him at the ripe old age of 700 years!   

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your answer... which leaves me with many other questions!
If Oberon controls the RUBYCON, it gives him absolute power over the empire but also the big houses, which could have pushed them to try to escape his control, even if it means disconnecting the OMNI.
Or it could have been Oberon himself who disconnected the OMNI to counter a rise in power of the big houses.
OR, because there is another question, the situation is quite different. The question being: Kaliban? How is Kaliban persistent? If the clones die every time the crew fails, how does Kaliban survive? Does he have copies of himself? But that would mean that it would only have to replicate himself in great number to reactivate solar systems that no longer have OMNI.
Then, this isn't real. It could be a thorough training, a simulation of total collapse, conducted in RV by Kaliban, manipulating the minds of the crew members so that they do not retain disabling traumatic memories. Some clues remind me of that, but maybe I go too far ^^ ?️‍♂️

• Like 1